Tuesday, March 30, 2010

It's been many moons...

As I logged on today I was disappointed by how no one I know had recently updated their blogs; then I realized how they must feel when they see my blog and it's been 2 MoNThS! Mom is always right and a couple of weeks ago she politely mentioned how she was sick of the new year resolutions (which, by the way, the anger managment is going well , "goosfraba", but I've decided to throw coupons out the window) and that I needed to write something...anything soon!

Here I am a week or two later and all I had managed was to change my background a couple hundred times! It's like a journal (this is where mom smiles and rolls her eyes) I have to feel it and the cover has to be just right or I won't write. There's no way of telling what is right, like most things in my life (i.e. men, clothes, food, men...) I'll know it when I see it and then will come the feeling-or not. So after a few face lifts I've decided on plain-jane, run-o-the-mill, boring, bland, white. I like it! I'm working on figuring out how to personalize a header/banner--I guess I'm not as technically inclined as I thought (I'm enjoying a slice of humble pie right now. Delectable.)
This should be the time when I fill you in on what I've been up to since moving to Draper, UT in January. My mind thinks in DetAiL so the task seems daunting but I'm going to attempt a Reader's Digest version of each month and if you have any questions or concerns....I'm sure you're not the only one.

JANUARY:
-Cold.
-moved into new apartment (I have my own room and bathroom...glorious!)
-decorate in shabby chic (I'm still lovin' it!)
-bought a bed at the great-and-spacious IKEA across the field
-filled my closet but no where to put books so boxes still line my walls
-started my professional career. *This one does require some explaining* I'm a Special Education Consultant for the Granite School District Preschool Services. I feel like I was thrown into the deep end of a wave pool without a life jacket, floaties, a paddle...not even a cute life guard! Luckliy,I know kids. So, all I have to do is keep my head above water and meet my deadlines and spend some time in the district and pretty soon it will be like clock work. I love the people I work with and for and the children make every day (even when they bite me, kick me, pinch me, head butt...they do it for the same reasons I force them into things they don't want to do; we love each other). I don't have my own classroom and that combined with my idea of incorporating mandatory nap for everyone into the daily preschool schedule, I have no complaints.
I feel truly blessed to have a job, not just any job...THIS job, during our recession (although I'm positive now that they were desperate because my interview was more like a sales pitch for the program. I spent the majority t of the hour long phone interview listening. I'm sure the Lord understood that if left to my own devices I would have botched the entire ordeal and would be unemployed living at home...still trying to figure out what's so bad about that...let me know if you think of anything).
-Started meeting new people and having game nights every Friday and sometimes in between.
-Slowly attempting to furnish our apartment.
-Started a new Single Adult ward...wasn't too impressed at first. Tried out the Student ward--that was a definite no-go, so back to the YSAs we went and now I find that I don't want to leave. I'm making new friends and I LOVE the bishopric (which I learned at school is quite a selling point).
-Enrolled in institute. I'm taking Teachings of the Living Prophets (this is my third year, but every semester is new because conference changes each time) I highly recommend it! I also started going to the weekly forums (guest speakers) on Wednesday nights at the institute. I've heard BYU's male acapella group Vocal Point, Sheri Dew, and Dr. Taylor Hartman (author of The Color Code--such a fantastic presentation. I'm a Blue/White--heavy on the blue--if you couldn't tell).
-Washed my truck more in one month than I ever have since I first got it. Utah is dirty--I don't care what the pictures look like. Boo, for inversion...yeah, for mountains (when you can see them through the smog)!
-Chopped my hair! I don't regret having it cut but I do regret going to a beauty school that wasn't Paul Mitchell to do it and for not walking out of the place after my first twinge of doubt of being placed in less than capable hands. It's all good--it's just hair, right?

FEBRUARY:
-added another roommate (but I still have my own room and it will stay that way).
-celebrated Randi's birthday (bought her a fish)!
-started and completed testing students for mid year benchmarks (I nearly died. The good news? I get to do it all over again when we get back from spring break!)
-started dating a guy (met him at game nights through the new roommate. Dating him exclusively was, for the most part, against my will....but I don't want to spoil March).
-Valentine's came and went as usual.
-Got a pedicure and it was just what the doctor ordered for such a stressful month.
-Games nights become far and few between.

MARCH:
-There's a reason why they call it "March Madness". My two roommates and I all have birthdays in March and they are a week apart! (Mine is March 4th, Katie's March 12th, and Meagan's March 19th) Needless to say we spent a lot of money, ate truck loads of food, and partyed like it was 1999!
-Decided 24 feels really good.
-Got the brakes fixed on my truck.
-Helped clean our church building every Saturday morning.
-Broke up with previously mentioned boy and still uber happy about the decision. I'm learning to recognize and obey the promptings of the spirit and feeling the blessings for doing so.
-Itching with cabin fever and wishing I was better equipped for the outdoors. I want to go hiking and camping and horseback riding and rafting and bike riding and swimming and four wheeling and barbecuing and sun bathing...like nobody's business! I will need to make friends with people in the know--I have my eyes set on a few.
-Got another pedicure (I could really care less if they paint my toes. I'm in it for the massage and mint mask-so rejuvinating!...ahh...)
-Went to the Festival of Colors with Randi. A mob of technicolor chaos!
-SPRING BREAK! This afternoon starts my spring break. Mom and Dad fly in tomorrow! I can't wait to spend the week with them. Carrie and Andrea will be up from AZ for conference and E-liz will be down from the "burg" so it will be a week filled with family, friends, food, and the prophet...to think the Lord promises it gets better than this?!

Some accomplishments:
-gave a talk last Sunday
-started a new journal
-developing a solid savings account
-managing anger well
-do laundry on a regular basis
-color coded my closet
-manuvering the grid system
-car accident free so far! (pray for me daily--Utah is a scary place to drive)

*Side note: has anyone else noticed how the ellipses (...) must be my favorite punctuation? I use them excessively!*

That's all I can think of right now...I'm sure there's more to it than I've let on. I'm happy to say that life has it's twists and turns but it's always for the better and keeps me on my toes. If I think of anything else I'll be sure to post it...hopefully sooner than later.

4 comments :

  1. I am in LOVE!!! With you! Have fun with everyone this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bailey you are adorable!! i love this!! good to hear you are happy, alive and well!!! love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I love that I got to hear this narrated by you - totally brings it even more to life.
    Second, you know you love Batman, too. Despite his whiney prima donna ways.
    Third and final, you should check out the blog "The World is Our Campus" - it's hilarious, mostly BYU related, but in ways that EVERY college student can appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm.... I could do with an update...

    ReplyDelete