Thursday, July 15, 2010

...where the heart is.

(Kolob Canyons)
Spencer and I recently returned from our road trip to Oklahoma. You may be asking "why on earth did you drive?!" but it was all part of the experience and in sport of a good adventure. It was while driving we found our bonding moments and we were able to talk about things that an hour or two on an airplane wouldn't have provoked quite like the winding stretch of highway before and the knowledge of only more of it to come.
Our trip started Thursday afternoon, we headed down to St. George where we would stay the night. This four hour drive really felt like an hour and this made our journey look even more promising. We talked the entire time and discovered that Spencer was breaking out in hives; Spencer didn't seem nervous but perhaps the stress of meeting my family was getting to him? We made it to Aunt Carolyn's in time to eat a quick dinner and get ourselves to bed for an early start the next day.
Morning came at 3:30 a.m., we ate a quick breakfast, packed up, and hit the road. I've made this drive quite a few times by myself (4 to be exact) but I highly recommend venturing with a partner...it's ten times more enjoyable and seems to go by quickly. We drove through Kaibab Nationaly Forest where we discovered reindeer (see pictures below), the Navajo Indian Reservation where we drove across the Grand Canyon, and we ate at Braum's in Amarillo where they were out of Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream!! Three states in one day...phew!
We arrived at a ghastly hour Saturday morning but Kellee and Trae were awake to greet us. We slept and it never felt so good. After taking Spencer to an Urgent Care facility it was concluded that his frightful hives were poison ivy that he contracted the Monday before we left during our ward hike and it decided that the night before our road trip was the opportune time to present itself (he's finally seeing the light at the end of this tunnel...two weeks later). That night Kellee and Jordan saw Toy Story 3 while we babysat and then Spencer, my Mom, and I went to see Eclipse (it was suprisingly good).

Sunday Spencer met my branch and we celebrated our day of independence with steak and ribs slathered in heavenly Head Country BBQ sauce, grilled veggies, yummy dessert, and fireworks. We broke out the Wii and found our competitive sides.

Monday Spencer and I met up with some of his old companions from his last areas on his mission. We took them to lunch at Braum's where we finally had our mint chocolate chip shakes (every bit as good as I remember) and then we had lunch with the Warehams and Mom.

Tuesday Spencer, my Mom, and I ventured to the City (Oklahoma City) and toured the state Capitol and the Oklahoma History Museum. Afterwards we ate at Pop's Diner where we all tried chocolate pop, I had a lavender pop, and....I forget what Spencer had. Pop's is always a good idea.

Wednesday we (being my Mom and I) took Spencer back to the Urgent Care center because his infection was spreading. Instead of a shot, this time they gave him medicine. We met the White's and Sis. Hunnicutt for lunch in Holdenville and then hunted around an antique shop in Ada.

Thursday my Mom had to go back to work so Spencer and I went to the City where we visited the National Memorial for the Oklahoma City bombing and then we walked to Bricktown where we rode the canal. When we got home we went to a delicious barbecue dinner with my mom and then spent the rest of the night getting ready to head west. I attempted to make french bread but burned it instead.

Friday we were back on the road for St. George and home Saturday evening in time for me to go to a girl's night with Spencer's sisters and cousins. We had dinner at the Gateway Mall and then we watched Eclipse. It was still good the second time...but I think I've had my fill. Oh! On our way home from St. George we detoured to Kolob Canyons, my first time in Zion National Park! I can't wait to go back and really dig into the beauty.
We made it back safely and survived the road and each other despite the concerns of many friends and family. Everyone kept telling horror stories of what a road trip does to a relationship but I wasn't worried and dare I say we've grown closer?! Throughout the trip Spencer took a plethora of pictures of the sky. I'm not sure what he wants to do with them but in between I managed a few pictures of our trek to OK and back.

Too good to pass up, we had to turn around and get a picture.
This is the look he gives me when he knows I'm taking his picture but he doesn't want to ruin my candid.
"Beautiful! Wish you were here!" (name that movie)
Driving across the Grand Canyon
They did this for...a long time.
No children were harmed during the operation of the
fireworks....mom's car had a close call though.
Utah has nothin' on OK worms
"Ooo la la la lookin' good Carlene"
Oklahoma History Museum
Leaving our healing hands at the memorial
168

Survivor's Tree



Downtown OKC

That darn poison ivy



Spencer: "Hey, look Bailey!" Me: "What?"
*click* Me: "Oh."

75 mph on the back of a motorcycle with a book? You bet!

2 comments :

  1. Oh my goodness! Trae is so big... I'm crying a little!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so in all our convos Mom NEVER mentioned the poison ivy. And, French Kiss of course!

    ReplyDelete