I easily forget how enjoyable live theater can be. I love to see plays and concerts. I should go more often, especially since I live in a thriving metropolis where I have access to venues of the Fine Arts.
Yesterday Spencer and I saw The Scarlet Pimpernel (the Musical) at the Hale Center Theater in Orem. It was fantastic! I have listened to the soundtrack for a few years now and have been aching to see the musical but all I could ever find was the movie with Jane Seymour or a live production that wasn't put to music. It's an intriguing story taking place during the French Revolution. An English man marries a French
actress and on the wedding night he hears that she may be a French spy helping to capture French aristocracy and feed them to the Republic.
The man and his friends create "The Scarlet Pimpernel" and fight to save innocent people from "Madame Guillotine" . To hide any trail of their connection to the Pimpernel the band of men (these guys really make the play...hilarious!) pretend to be ridiculously wrapped up in fashion proclaiming that "someone has to bear the weight of well tailored clothes! That is why the Lord created man." It's really a great story (it's a book if you would like to read it or a movie which I finally saw this summer and it's good too), it has love, adventure, action, comedy, and music...think Zorro only English.
The music is magnificent as well. My favorite songs are "Storybook", "Into the Fire", "Falcon in the Dive", "She Was There", and "The Riddle".
Really, truly, it's one of my top ten musicals and finally seeing it has only made me enjoy it more. Hooray for the Scarlet Pimpernel!! (Above I posted a video of The 1997-98 Broadway cast performing "Into the Fire", it's worth the 4.5 minutes)

No comments :
Post a Comment