Yesterday after a yummy rainy-Sunday dinner I suggested Spencer and I start reading a book together. We snuggled up on the lounge in his parlor and dove into Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man and The Sea. This was a book that I had heard the title of a million times and I've even visited Hemingway's house in Key West, FL but I had no idea I would enjoy the story so thoroughly. Spencer had listened to an audio version a few years ago and he remembered he had enjoyed it so, having no idea what would come of it, we took turns reading aloud and became so enthralled that we read the entire 140 pages in 2 hours (with a short break for ice cream)!
It is a simple, adventurous, and beautiful story. Growing up I confused John Steinbeck and Ernest Hemingway. I am not a fan of Steinbeck so when someone referenced or mentioned Hemingway I would mentally grown and practically drop into dead sleep thinking about reading either of them. Then I would remember I'd never read Hemingway, until now and I am a fan...of this story at least. For me the story was much like Norman Maclean's A River Runs Through It, which I highly recommend. If The Old Man and The Sea were a movie it would be like Castaway....but not, probably better...although I believe Tom Hanks would play an excellent Old Man.
What I had expected would take us a week or a few days quickly turned into an enjoyable few hours! I laughed, I cried, I held my breath, I turned page after page! Would I read it again? Yes. Do I recommend it? Highly. Will you learn more about fish and sailing than you could possibly need? Yes, but it's fascinating!

No comments :
Post a Comment