Wednesday, June 5, 2013

PiCtUrEpAloOZa

The Tulip Festival at Thanksgiving Point

We enjoyed very fine weather, the highlight of which was a picnic on the lawn.  Leone took her first drink from a water fountain and embarked on her favorite past time, people watching.

  
Mother's Day
The Friday before Mother's Day: Spencer gone for the day and Leone asleep I stole away to the shower and shortly after I heard, what I thought, was a knock at the door.  I wasn't expecting anyone and figured if it was a package the postal worker would just knock and leave the package as usual.  When I got out of the shower I checked the door, but saw nothing.  I then got a message from Spencer telling me to check the door.  I thought that was funny but when I did a more thorough search I found a bag with a balloon that said "Thank You" tied to it, around the side of the porch.  I brought the bag inside and was delighted to find the loveliest, most delicious, and LARGEST (all were as big as my palm) chocolate covered strawberries.


They were delivered with a sweet note from Spencer. 
The next day we took Leone rollerblading (a blast from the 90s).  Thinking that my Mother's Day gift was the day before I was surprised when Spencer, having convinced me we were going to help his sister with the lawn mower, dropped Leone off to be babysat while we went to dinner and a movie!  He asked me with a sort of choose-your-own-adventure note.  It was a much needed night out. Then Spencer made us breakfast on Sunday and we had a family dinner at his parent's that evening.  Mother's Day was so much more than I expected, Spencer really out did himself.  
Odds and Ends
We wandered the Red Butte Gardens and had a surprise visit from my sister and brother-in-law and their boys.  They were in Ferron a few days so we drove down to see them.  


Memorial Day Weekend
We ventured to Capitol Reef National Park for the long weekend. It's a smaller, less popular park but it's beautiful.  The neatest part was to discover, in the middle of the desert, were orchards!  Planted originally by pioneers they still produce fruit: cherries, apples, pears, peaches, and apricots.  Even better than that, you can pick the fruit at harvest time! We bought an annual pass so we plan on going back later in the summer and early fall to enjoy some of the fruits of the seasons.   
We couldn't leave without our Junior Ranger badges so we attended a ranger program about the local geology and enjoyed a hike.  Our first night we had a little barbecue near one of the orchards.  We were surrounded by deer.  Leone ate her first roasted marshmallow and explored the picnic site.
We slept in our car that night under a full moon.  We had eggs and toast for breakfast and then went on our hike. Our trail ended at water-pockets called "The Tanks" and we were greeted by a big brown toad. Leone was such a trooper, she never fussed and many fellow hikers commented on how good she was.  We are so blessed to have such an awesome daughter! On our way out of the park we took our first NP sign picture as a family of three!

1 comment :