Saturday, July 26, 2014

Baby Carriage

Ariel and Taylor are expecting their first child this fall and asked me to take maternity photos for them. I took their engagement pictures just over a year ago and now look at them! I was excited for the opportunity to take pictures of someone other than Leone (although I love taking pictures of her, it's refreshing and challenging to mix it up). The funniest thing happened though...
I started getting frustrated with the "priority settings" on my camera. I was sure that I wouldn't risk manual mode on this shoot but as soon as I started snapping photos I found the tides had turned. Instead of being frustrated with Manual I was disappointed with the results in other modes.

I was thinking in Manual.

It felt like learning a new language. At one point in my life I was learning French. I spoke most fluently when I was familiar enough with the vocabulary and verbs to think in French rather than try to mentally translate from English into French and vice versa. When I realized what was happening last night I was so pleased with myself. I'm still no professional but this was a break through.

Taylor's family are long time friends with a woman who works at a train museum in Tooele (this friend kindly let us onto the premises after hours).  I thought it was a great location considering they are having a boy (what little boy doesn't go through a train phase). Ariel and Taylor are easy to shoot. They prefer minimal posing (as do I) and are willing to try almost anything. It was a relaxing and inspiring way to spend my Friday night, I'm thrilled they thought to ask me.  We're looking forward to meeting their little bear cub.

Again with the black and white...


  
We were able to go inside some of the train cars.










1 comment :