Sunday, August 2, 2015

The Raspberry Patch

I have always enjoyed "pick-your-own" type farms but they seem to be fading, at least in this area. About two years ago I discovered a place about an hour away called The Raspberry Patch and had been aching to go but for whatever reason we never got around to it. The other night while we were laying in bed talking about what to do for the weekend I brought up raspberry picking and we decided to make it happen. I was afraid I might go into labor and we wouldn't be able to go but luckily baby is still hanging around so we woke up early and headed out to pick raspberries.

The patch is on private property next to someone's house and when we pulled up all we saw was a table with a coffee can dictating the price per pound and a scale and rows and rows of raspberry canes. There was one person out picking so we asked them how it works and basically you pick what you want, weigh it, and pay in the can--totally on the honor system.
We ended up picking about 4.5 pounds of raspberries (much more than we had intended) but it's hard to walk past a ripe raspberry and not pick it! We called it good just as it was starting to get hot and more of a crowd had developed. We've been snacking on fresh flavorful raspberries the rest of the weekend, working raspberries seeds out from between our teeth, and dreaming up all the goodies we can make.





In baby news:
Our due date is Friday the 7th. Leone came five days early but it seems like this little miss is cozy as is and doesn't feel like she's in any rush to arrive. I'm trying to be patient but it's so hard when we're so close! At my last appointment I asked about the policy/procedure for if she doesn't arrive by her due date. Basically if  I make it to my next appointment we will schedule an induction date but how long we wait is up to me. They don't let anyone go two weeks past the due date because of complications for the mother and baby. I'm all for letting the baby arrive when they're ready....but I'm ready to meet this baby. My favorite midwife mentioned she is on-call Monday and Tuesday so I am hoping the baby decides to make an appearance around then, but honestly I like all the midwives and would be happy with any of them. 

For now I'm just trying to rest up but stay busy so I don't go stir crazy. If the baby doesn't arrive on Friday there is a hot air balloon festival this weekend we'd like to attend...

No comments :

Post a Comment