I can still remember how I felt and what I was wearing my first day at SVU. Now I'm about to graduate and I've come so far. Ever since I was in the 5th grade I've known what I wanted to be when I grew up. I have always wanted to be a special education teacher and a passion for these children and their families burns deeper in me every passing year. I truly am blessed-so many people don't have a passion or don't know what they want to do with their lives but I've always known and it has been confirmed to me through classes, discussions, children, and experiences in my life. Working in special education is why I am here, at this time, in this dispensation. Becoming a parent and building the kingdom of God on this earth is a mission set forth for every child of God but each child has specific talents, gifts, trials, and purpose. This I know-teaching, children, education, nurturing, compassion-is mine.
It's a beautiful thing to have a purpose and passion in life. The gospel provides such direction. Knowing what I am meant to do simplifies things but deciding where and when to do it is something that takes more; more prayer, more soul searching, more faith. Winston Churchill once said:
"To every man there comes....that special special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a special thing unique to him and fitted to his talent. What a tragedy if that moment finds him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour."
For me that moment was in the fifth grade and has driven my entire existence. How grateful I am for the Lord's hand in my life. How grateful I am for the confirmations I have received through the Holy Ghost. How eternally grateful I am for the comfort and healing power of the atoning sacrifice of my Savior, even Jesus Christ. As I step out into the real world to embark on an "awfully big adventure" I know that I am not alone.
Bailey, you have great things ahead for you. I have no doubts in you! I am so excited for you and your future. All of the people who get to cross your path are going to be as lucky as I was. You are my hero.
ReplyDeleteoh my goodness bailey you are going to be an amazing teacher! I look up to you in teaching in so many ways! REALLY! you are just soo good with those little ones and I hope you get the job of your dreams! you deserve it cause you are simply the best!! and can i just say i am going to miss you dearly... please can we still be friends after we part our ways?? like have a teacher party dinner or something if we are both in utah!??
ReplyDeleteOf course we will still be friends after we part! I'll want to hear all about Africa so take lots of pictures! We'll have weekly teacher dinners if we're both in Utah! (ok maybe not weekly but definitely monthly). I LOvE yOu!
ReplyDelete