Hi, my name is Bailey and I'm a snowboard-aholic.
As I mentioned in my last post just over a week ago I went snowboarding for the first time. Spencer and I went to Solitude Snow Resort up Big Cottonwood Canyon (courtesy of his sister Ashlie and brother-in-law Johnathan, they let us use their season passes for a day--our Christmas present from them)and it was a great day to be in the mountains. Sunny and 40....I had SO MUCH FUN! Spencer and I actually went again this past Saturday and I had even more fun and I'm getting better every time! It helps that I have a personal snowboard instructor who happens to be a fantastic teacher (did I mention that Spencer used to be a snowboard instructor for Snowbird?)! After my first time I was pretty worn out and I suffered whiplash from falling so much but Spencer said I was the fastest learner and I am actually really good (not excellent but good)! I was just plum excited to be able to do anything or go anywhere on that board! I actually am impressed with myself. I had tried skiing once about 3 or 4 years ago and that was an awful experience so I wasn't sure what to expect from this snowboard excursion. Snowboarding is ten times easier and, in my opinion, more enjoyable by a landslide!
This past Saturday went just as smoothly, even better actually! I did one run on the Easy Street slope (I spent the entire time there last week) but after one go I asked for more and so we took a lift further up the mountain and it was a great opportunity to learn. The key to snowboarding is carving and it's all about leaning toe-side or heel-side and getting the pressure just right. I bailed a few times down the run but it was snowing and had been since the day before so the powder was fresh and fluffy and great for catching my fall (not to mention that carving in powder is like riding on butter). I really only fell a couple of times, other than that I was stopping myself! I was able to carve the rest of the way down the mountain and fit in a few more runs on Easy Street (we didn't have enough time to do moonbeam again, I only fell once on my last few runs down the slope!) before we had to meet Spencer's sisters to trade passes and equipment and then head to Stake Conference. I can only imagine what Spencer and I must have looked or sounded like as we rode down the mountain: Spencer is either in front of or behind me coaching me along and saying "You're doing great!" "Watch your toe/heel!" "Wait...stop...don't...!" all the while I am trying to carve and just flying down the slope yelling and laughing like a crazy person "I love this" (all right before I create a human snowball as I crash). Basically I'm a pro and will be quitting my job to pursue my true calling in life which is to be an Olympic snowboarder, I'll be touring with Shaun White traveling the world to chase snow. JUST KIDDING MOM (and Spencer and all you cute little preschoolers out there)!
I'm not THAT good and I couldn't give up teaching for this but snowboarding makes winter immensely more enjoyable!
Here are pictures from Spencer and I sledding and then my first day of snowboarding!
It only got deeper from here...I was thigh high in snow most of the time!
Below is the letter Spencer wrote me when he sent these pictures from his phone, I thought it was funny and cute so I wanted to share (I hope he doesn't get embarrassed)
Subject: Dear Darla...Bailey (For one most enjoyable to be with!)
Dear Bailey,
I love your non-stinking guts... I'm sure if anyone has nice guts you do. But I prefer to call them "insides".
You have nice insides I'm sure.
And I love all the rest of you too! (this poem is supposed to talk about guts so I had to mention yours, but I can write a poem about the rest of you some other time)
You definitely don't make me vomit, quite the contrary.
Actually you make me feel like I've had a nice warm supper...
And a warm winters nap cuddled in fleece and down sleeping bags!
You have cute little toes...
I'm sure they have no scum...
And they are very talented!
Love,
Your very own Spencer
Look at me go I'm carving! (actually I'm about to plop my hiney in the snow
...maybe even somersault head over heels...but I look good don't I?)
Smiling and triumphant after a phenomenal first day!
I survive to board once again!
That is awesome! I love this post... I am going to take up snowboarding too! I can't wait... You're my inspiration!
ReplyDeleteYou'll love it, I promise! Just a warning...you could become addicted. ;)
ReplyDelete