Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Winter Bare Necessities

So long winter, hello printemps!! Sunday was officially the first day of SpRInG and I welcome it with open arms. Winter wasn't bad, I enjoy each season in it's turn, but I feel winter has had it's fair share.I don't know from which station of my genius this train of thought "I-think-I can"-ed it's way to the platform, but it chuga-chuga-choo-chooed it's way along the tracks and now it's on the world wide web....heaven help us. (Can you tell I teach preschool?)


I found myself standing by my space heater eating a bowl of cold cereal reflecting on this past winter and silently expressing my gratitude for the immense heat that flows freely from such a tiny box. That space heater was my best investment (aside from time with Spencer and tickets home for Christmas with my family) last season (I can say last season now because, if you haven't heard, it's spring). I started thinking about other things "I couldn't have survived without" this winter and for whatever reason I felt compelled to blog about it. Partially, because I know that my mom and sisters will laugh since they get me, and I love to make them laugh. Also because I'm marrying a survivalist guru and he'll probably read the title of this blog and think it's legitimate...until he keeps reading at which point he'll chuckle and smile at my cleverness, tell me he loves me, and most likely list for me real winter survival necessities, which for him, will include yours truly :)

The list (all things material because it's simpler that way) goes as follows:
*in no particular order
1. Space heater: $25 at Wal-Mart in the fall, we hit it off right away and have been attached at the hip ever since.
2. Down comforter: Like the comforter that came before this gem has made it difficult to get up on wintry mornings. My parents bought this one for me last year, they bought the one before it 16 years ago, and they paid for the one that Spencer and I purchased a few weeks ago and will put on our bed when the time comes. Give the gift of down, it's the gift that keeps on giving. Thank you Mom and Dad.
3. Snow boots: They definitely had more time out of the closet when I was in Idaho but these days I spend more time chasing three year olds down elementary school hallways than I do walking to class...natural selection I suppose.
4. Slippers: When the snow boots came off these slipped on and I look forward to warmer weather when I can comfortably walk around barefoot again. I don't remember the last time my feet felt carpeted floors.
5. Herbal tea: I can't drink it without honey but I enjoy a cozy cup of herbal tea on my way to work or on a chilly evening...or just because it sounds good. For Christmas my mom gave me a canister of pumpkin chai red tea from Crate & Barrel and it's yummy. I like it's sweet and nutty flavor.
6. 4 Tubes of sand for my truck: providing that little extra traction on the roads that provides a large sense of security for my nerves.
7. Wool socks: right up there with my slippers. I bought my first and only pair in November and I haven't really worn any other socks since.
8. Oatmeal: the breakfast of champions (this champion at least). If nothing else, I learned one thing from my time in Idaho: warm yourself up from the inside out.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure it's enough. To each their own, right? Luckily, I survive to welcome another spring and with it much more of the outdoors!





1 comment :

  1. TC and I LOVE oatmeal!!!! We add lots of fruits.

    xo,
    kellee

    ReplyDelete