Sweet summer! I can't believe it's already here! I'm officially out for the school year (have been for just a couple of days) and suddenly I don't know what to do with myself...just kidding. I feel as though I can finally start working on all those little projects I've been keeping mental note of. In early May I pulled out my sewing machine to hem some pants and I haven't put it away since. I've made curtains for three big windows and a nursing cover, baby sling, and cloth diapers are all in the works. My to-do list is an ongoing process.
I suppose I'm in my "nesting" stage. I thought it would come earlier but I think work helped keep it at bay. There was, however, that one time our crib finally arrived: it came in the middle of the week and I couldn't wait to see it. Spencer said "if we open it you'll want to put it up right away" (note: we had not yet made room for a crib in our little one bedroom apartment) I promised that all I wanted was a peek and I would be satisfied. We did take a peek and I only lasted until the weekend before I made Spencer help me assemble it. Spencer, bless-his-heart, did a lot of furniture rearranging that weekend. Not only did I ask him to help me rearrange the living room only to put it back the way it was originally, but we also rearranged the bedroom. When I say "we" I mean Spencer.
Here's the crib. It's filled with baby blankets, some clothes, and garland right now, but I'll have it ready in no time.
Want to hear a funny story?
Today was just too sunny to pass up so I shimmied into a swimming suit that actually fit (thank goodness for spandex) and headed into the yard to relax under the sprinkler. To turn on the sprinkler I have to walk across our yard, through a little gate, down across our neighbor's yard, and onto their front porch to hook up our hose. Spencer usually does this but he was at work and I really wanted to be in the water so I wrapped up in a towel, tiptoed through the gate, made sure I was all alone, and walked across the yard to our neighbor's front porch. First I had to unhook their hose and replace it with ours. Then, I had to get the water pressure just right all while juggling a towel that for some reason did not want to stay wrapped. Finally I was home free to sit in the privacy of my front yard under the gentle mist of the sprinkler.
When it was time to go back inside I figured I'd just run down in my suit, without a menacing towel, to unhook the hose. I was sure my neighbors wouldn't be home in the few seconds it would take to run down there. As I'm standing on their front porch turning off the water a car pulls up...it's my neighbor (the husband) I smile and wave but really I'm feeling like I want to dive into the bushes. I start scrambling to unhook the hose and throw it into the bushes so it's not in their walkway but of course the hose is not cooperating. I finally dance the snake of a hose off the porch and casually strut my way back to the safety of my own yard (in actuality all of this happened before he even had time to get out of the car). All in all two things have come to me from this: 1) I will not let such an incident deter me from continuing to enjoy the summer weather in my bathing suit and 2) invest in a bathing suit cover-up.
Did I mention my neighbor's are hispanic? Their english is so-so and my spanish is non-existent so nothing much gets said on the rare occasion we see each other. When my neighbor pulled up he probably thought "What's this gringa doing, watering her lawn during the hottest time of the day?" To paint a better picture of the situation my bathing suit is covered in bright flowers and has a little blue ruffle along the bottom hem of the top piece. Pre-pregnancy the suit looked pretty darn cute, but wearing it now I feel as though I resemble something along the lines of...
Oh, sweet summer.

No comments :
Post a Comment