Monday, June 18, 2012

Scots, an Empathy Belly, and Dads

Earlier in June we went to the Scottish festival!  We didn't go last year because we were busy with the wedding so we were ready to go this year.  Thanks to Randi and Steven we have a free annual pass to Thanksgiving Point and we're looking forward to exploring more of the gardens and festivals they have to offer. We meandered around the booths and watched the highland games and some of the pipe and drum competition.  It's a fairly predictable festival since they have the same events every year but it's still fun to listen to the bagpipes in person and what better excuse for Spencer to wear his tartan vest and tie than at a Scottish festival?  




Jumping ahead a bit we celebrated Father's Day yesterday! I sent Spencer on a sticky note scavenger hunt around the house and yard to find his presents.  I thought it would be too easy but luckily some of the clues threw him for a bit of a loop.  Once he found his presents I went to kitchen to start on breakfast and he came out wearing the shirt and shorts I got him.  One thing that makes Spencer so fun is that if you give him a gift he will immediately start to put it together-play with it-wear it-eat it...you feel like a million bucks watching him enjoy whatever it is right away.  I bought him a new shirt, a pair of shorts, and graham crackers (he loves graham crackers and milk).  Nothing really sentimental but he needed them.  I made his favorite breakfast, french toast, along with turkey-bacon, strawberries, and homemade syrup. I love taking any and every opportunity to celebrate Spencer.  We have had 11 months of wonderful marriage (not to mention the year+ of dating before that) and I know he will make a fantastic father.  
A detail shot of the shirt 
shirt and shorts
breakfast
We had our first birthing class on Saturday and (I may be a little biased but...)Spencer is the best support a girl could ask for.  During introductions the women (there are 4 couples in the class) were to tell their names, due dates, and what "natural birth" means to us, and why we are choosing the natural route.  The spouses/supports were to tell the name of the OB, one thing they know about pregnancy, and their greatest wish/outcome (and it can't be "a healthy wife and healthy baby" because that's a given).  All the other guys gave suitable but textbook answers such as "I know pregnancy lasts about 9 months" or "I want whatever 'she' (pointing to his wife) wants".  Spencer's answers were (with some paraphrasing) "I know a woman's body is meant to have babies so anyone wanting to deliver naturally can do it"--so reassuring to all of us women who are scared of the unknown and the inevitable pain to come.  Then his greatest wish  is "to be able to bond with the baby".  My heart melted, and it gave me a little insight into how he's feeling as the due date quickly approaches.  He was the first to wear the "empathy belly" complete with metal balls sewn in below the belly to put pressure on the bladder when you sit or walk.  He didn't complain at all about how awkward or embarrassing it would be...he didn't necessarily enjoy it but we got some great laughs out of it (I even snapped a photo with my phone but I'm not going to post it because it would be too humiliating and he was such a champ about the whole thing that I owe it to him).  
The entire day he was willing and eager to go along with all the hands on demonstrations while the other husbands took some coaxing and prodding.  We laughed...probably too much (during the vocalization and visualization exercises) but Spencer did it all!
I LOVE this guy!!

No comments :

Post a Comment