Saturday, October 20, 2012

Milkshake..in a BAG!

Not my shake...but close

Tonight we treated ourselves to mint chocolate chip ice cream (YUM!).  The dilemma arrived when Spencer wanted a milkshake but Leone was peacefully asleep-had been for a few hours-and I was determined she remain that way.
 It has been said "Necessity is the mother of invention" (I mean necessity because the buying of ice cream is too rare an occasion in this house) this evening proves it.  I didn't even entertain the idea of using the blender. I also nixed Spencer's idea of pouring the milk and ice cream in a glass then stirring it with a spoon because of the inevitable clanking.  Then with pretend exasperation but sincere suggestion Spencer said "just put it in a bag and mash it up". Light bulb! (said in the voice of Gru from Despicable Me)

 GENIUS! I did and it worked.  I put a few small scoops of ice cream into a quart size ziploc then added a few splashes of milk.  Seal the bag (really seal it) and squeeze until it looks like a shake.  I cut one of the corners of the bag and poured it into a glass and voila! Milkshake!  As I was mixing I thought you could use a mason jar and shake rather than a ziploc and squish (save the planet and a few dollars by not cutting through all of your bags) but I haven't tried it yet. It also occurred to me that this method might not be best if you were to use a chunky ice cream like Rocky Road, but if you don't mind a chunky shake then no problem! 
Speaking of milkshake...
 In the past we used to say you got "slimed", if Leone spit up on you.  Seriously it was like a Nickelodeon game show in our house.  But we've had a month of reprieve since her surgery, she's growing like a champ (2 pounds in the last month) and hardly spits up at all.  HOWEVER, today I was "slimed" like never before.  I was lying down and had Leone sitting on my chest.  We were singing something like Row Your Boat or Pat-a-Cake and as I pulled Leone forward it must has squished her tummy just right because she spewed- ON MY FACE!!  I even got a tiny bit in my mouth!  Luckily Spencer was close by with a towel.  
We're still laughing about it.

No comments :

Post a Comment