We went to Oklahoma for Christmas this year. We somehow bypassed the major crowds at the airport and Leone was a champ on both flights. We missed our mOuNtAIn family but I soaked up every minute we spent in my hometown. Leone met her cousins and Aunts and Uncles and we learned Randi and Steven are expecting; such exciting times! We updated our family portrait, (the last one was taken at Randi and Steven's wedding and Trae was the only grandchild and Nick hadn't left for his mission yet) this time we took the picture ourselves! Kellee and I were in charge of making it happen and I wasn't sure how it would turn out with all the babies and the freezing Christmas weather...but I'm impressed and I'll admit a bit surprised. With minimal photoshop touches (thanks to a family friend with the skills and Aly's brother for being the "baby-attention-getter") we came up with something WALL WORTHY. Phew!
We've drawn names for Christmas in my family for as l o n g as I can remember. You can get a gift for everyone but we draw a name...now family...that we focus on. We tried it in Spencer's family this year as well. From my side of the family we drew my parents and we made them a Birthday board. You can find them all over Pinterest and my mom has been wanting one ever since she first saw one. In fact, she suggested we each make one for our "Christmas craft" this year (we've started a new tradition where we girls get together when we're all home for Christmas and make a craft. Last time we each made a Christmas wreath). I panicked (I was already halfway through a Birthday board for my parents) and suggested that instead we make holiday blocks (thanks to Madison for the inspiration). My mom agreed and the crisis was averted. I chose to write "Celebrate" instead of "Birthdays" because I included anniversaries. I also used scrapbook paper instead of paint for the wood discs. Families are differentiated by paper. Hopefully it will help my parents keep track of our growing family.
On Spencer's side we drew Tricy and Garrett. After diving deep into the crevices of my creativity and finding nothing Pinterest saved the day with inspiration. While looking over Tricy's boards I noticed she had pinned a couple of coat racks and I thought "We can do that!" So Spencer and I designed and created a coat rack which also turned out better than I had expected. We were going to paint it a fun color like Tiffany Blue or something to that effect but decided to leave the color decision to Tricy and Garrett and stained it instead. I like how rustic it looks.
![]() |
| Forgive the quality this was taken with a camera on a phone |
The two hOOks are the same but the two kNobS are different, but all similar in style.
I wish I had taken more pictures while we were in Oklahoma but I guess I was busy having loads of family fun. Sometimes I get in a fRenZy of picture taking and forget to be in the moment, so this is an improvement. Spencer, Leone, and I celebrated Christmas the night before we left for OK. I bought Spencer a pair of "approach shoes" he'd had his eyes on (approach shoes are a hybrid of a hiking shoe and climbing shoe...you learn something new everyday) and I made Leone a simple little doll.
I made it so the pacifier can snap on and off of the head. It helps her find her pacifier on her own at night. Spencer gave me money for clothes which is exactly what I wanted! My favorite part of the season was taking Spencer to see The Savior of the World for his birthday back in November. It set such a peaceful mood for the rest of the holidays and honestly helped me keep my thoughts centered around the birth and life of our Savior. We had a great year and are grateful for the opportunity we've had to spend time with FaMiLy near and far. Now it's onward and upward to 2013. Happy New Year!





No comments :
Post a Comment