The month leading up to Thanksgiving I saw posters for "The Utah Human Race 5k/10k Fun Run and Walk". Signs for races pop up all over the valley throughout the year so why I paid particular attention to this race I don't know. But there are a few things I did know: we don't do anything on Thanksgiving morning so why not be outdoors doing something that benefits someone else, a 5k is 3.2 miles....totally do able, Spencer and I would enjoy it. I had originally thought it would just be me, Spencer and Leone but we mentioned it to Spencer's family one Sunday dinner and before we knew it we had a team (Spencer's mom, Tricy, Ashlie, and our little family)! Sarah got her mom and sisters into a team as well (they included our brother-in-law Jonathan-Ashlie's husband-and they ran the 10k). Team Taylor signed up for the 5k "stroller/walker/jogger" heat since we'd have Leone. The race was to benefit the Food Bank and resulted in raising $125,000!
The morning of the race was a frigid wake up call but the sun seemed promising as it came over the MoUnTaINs. Spencer and I left our phones in the car so we didn't meet up with his family until the FINISH line. We had been looking for them while we waited for the race to begin but never saw them (we did, however, run into some friends from our Singles Ward days, Spencer's old family ward, and our current ward). It turns out the rest of our team had accidentally gone one heat too early so there was no way we could have caught them. It all worked out though and everyone had a great time. Sarah's mom ended up placing in her age group!
We took some pictures and shared some stories and then dashed off to warm cars singing/dancing along to Creedence Clearwater Revival as it blared across the shopping center.
Not a bad way to work up a hearty Thanksgiving appetite.
My favorite part of the day? Spencer remarking "That's a lot of spandex!" while scanning the crowd.
Leone's first 5k! She slept it off and woke up
just in time to cross the finish line happy as a champ!

No comments :
Post a Comment