Saturday, October 26, 2013

Approaching Halloween

We seem to go from day to day in a blur, but when someone asks "What's new?" the best way I can think to describe our life is how "We're just plugging along".  That doesn't mean we aren't happy and don't enjoy our chug-a-lug down the track of life.  We keep smiling and laughing every day, soaking up the little moments that wouldn't interest anyone else (my parents, who are always up for a "Leone did the most-typical-every-child-does-it-but-we-love-it-story" are the exception).
Lately we've been busy with school, work, fall break, and the arrival of Halloween festivities. Check it out:
(Every single one of these pictures came from my phone so please excuse any poor quality)

Daily Life:
Sunday through Tuesday are pretty hectic around here (any meeting or other such activity thrown into the mix any other day of the week makes for a special time) so some days, when I'm home, we stay in our pajamas a little longer than usual. We get around to getting things done but it's nice to take a day to decompress and recollect. 
Leone is so much fun to be with, her personality shines through more and more each day. I'm always amazed at what she finds to entertain herself. Lately she has figured out how to climb into my rocking chair and I often find her there looking at a book, snacking, sometimes "surfing", of which I am not a fan and she gets a kick out of that. The other day we stopped at the store to buy a baguette to go along with our soup for dinner. Leone, of her own free will and determination, carried the loaf out of the store to our car all by herself. People in the parking lot gave her amused looks as they watched a walking baguette pass by.  She is growing up so quickly, I love/hate it.  

Dutch Oven:
My excellent friend Carrie and I recently completed a community education course on Dutch Oven cooking. The class was taught by a World Champion who had fun stories and a lot of information. Do either of us own dutch ovens? Nope. Do we want dutch ovens? Yes. But they weren't required for the class. We basically spent one night a week for six weeks eating delicious food (made by our teacher and his assistant). The last night of class we participants/students had the chance to cook whatever we wanted for everyone. What a feast! Everything everyone made was delicious. Carrie and I rocked our caramel biscuits. They were melt-in-your-mouth divine (and are made with only three ingredients)! We may or may not have made the best dessert. 
Fall Break:
Spencer and I watched our nieces during our fall break while their parents were out of town. Leone loved playing with her cousins and learned a few things about being a "big girl".  Spencer and I enjoyed having a dishwasher and washer/dryer so readily available. By the time fall break rolled around we were beginning to regret having committed all our time to watching the girls but we knew it would be a huge help for Spencer's brother and his wife; in the end we really enjoyed ourselves. There were cousin bubble baths, trips to the playground, paper hats and paper airplanes, and even a movie night.


 Leone had her first trip down the slide by herself! 
It started out on the right, and somehow, ended on the left:  

Halloween:
I realize Halloween isn't officially here but we've already had a Halloween party with Spencer's family.
 I made Leone's fish costume and enjoyed every minute of  its creation. For me it was one of those "Mom-moments". You know, something you spend your life imagining you'll do as a mother, and then you realize you're living your dream. 
As a family we won the "Best Homemade" category of the costume contest. I also won the eat-the-doughnut-off-the-string-without-using-your-hands game (my brother-in-law has a picture to prove it). I was only in it for the doughnut but I don't mind a good win. We also played bobbing for apples, a "Pum-ata" (a pumpkin pinata), and a squirmy game where you stick your hand into covered bowls filled with "icky" things then try to guess the contents. I couldn't handle it (I know it's all mental...but eek!). I still tried!
Earlier in the year I had come up with the idea for Spencer and Leone's costumes but then the "What am I going to be?" question struck and turned into "What do I already have?" and "Voila!" 
Introducing Halloween 2013: a Fish, a Scuba Diver, and a Sailor 

  Happy Halloween!


No comments :

Post a Comment