Spencer was home early from school on Halloween so we took Leone out to Gardner Village where there is plenty of Halloween to go around. We didn't participate in the actual scavenger hunt but we enjoyed chuckling at the "Witchfest" characters and watching children run around in their costumes. There were quite a few Woody-s from Toy Story and a gaggle of princesses, a pair of Ghostbusters, and a gorilla, but only one fish...
We didn't go trick-or-treating but we're thinking Leone will be ready next year. Instead we stayed home and made homemade doughnuts. I remember making these with my family a few times as a kid, for some reason I always associate this memory (and homemade chicken noodle soup) with Halloween. I'm not sure we actually made doughnuts on Halloween but that's the vibe I get and I think it sounds festive.
These doughnuts are too easy to make. Essentially they're biscuits with the middles punched out...in fact I'm pretty sure the only reason they're called doughnuts is because they have a whole in the middle...but then again that's all a doughnut really is anyway. To make: Buy a can of biscuits (not the flaky kind), heat up some oil in a deep skillet, *pop* open the biscuits, punch out the doughnut holes, fry, and top.
We dipped ours in cinnamon sugar and white sugar. We had so much fun we've decided to make homemade doughnuts a Halloween tradition. Maybe next year we'll try a glaze.
Leone had a bird's eye view of the doughnuts frying and then she sampled her first doughnut hole.
When I say "sampled" I mean devoured.


No comments :
Post a Comment