Nestled beside the Green and Yampa Rivers Dinosaur National Monument protects a dinosaur fossil quarry. Isn't it fascinating to think that we live on old Dino stomping ground?! The Quarry Visitor Center is basically a two story building constructed around the remaining wall of an excavation site. My interest in dinosaurs could be described as, unremarkable (I compare my enthusiasm to that of the 3-5 year olds I teach--they're borderline obsessed) but even for me this exhibit was captivating. I recommend visiting Dinosaur N.M. The West end of the park is open year round. It operates like a large National Park but feels like a hidden treasure. Saturday just so happened to be National Jr Ranger Day, naturally we earned our badges.
Weather did not look promising for those playing outdoors (30mph winds Friday/cold and rainy Saturday) but we wouldn't let a bit of rain get in our way! The wind didn't blow our tent away (just my hair) and I appreciated how the rain made everything green and lively. You also can't beat the diffused light of an overcast sky when taking pictures.
We camped Friday night along the Green River, enjoying tinfoil dinners (I threw zucchini into the usual mix of carrots, potatoes, and onions. Delicious genius!) and had Craisin baked apples for dessert. Saturday we explored fossils and the homestead of Jossie Morris who settled there after a divorce near the age of 40. She lived alone working the land and house until she died at the age of 90!
We hit the road for home just as the rain got serious about falling. We met horizontal snow I around the Strawberry area (obviously they didn't get the memo about Spring) and made it home in time for dinner.
In other news: Spencer has been awarded a scholarship for next year and will be an engineering intern for the county's Engineering and Flood Control department this summer. HOORAY!
We feel so blessed.








I love the wonder (Leone) and excitement you guys have with camping! I'm so glad you enjoy the outdoors! It is truly a blessing to acknowledge.
ReplyDeletei just love your adventures with Leone! You are adorable parents!!
ReplyDelete