Santa Rosa is home to the Blue Hole, "SCUBA diving capital of the Southwest". It's a natural pool that is approximately 80 ft deep and a constant 61 degrees Fahrenheit. Unfortunately Spencer forgot his SCUBA certification card so we just jumped off the surrounding rocks. We didn't stay in long because 61 feels frigid!
Everyone was able to make it except Kellee and her boys and they were sorely missed. I loved watching Leone interact with my family. We went swimming in either a pool or at the Park Lake (considerably warmer than the Blue Hole and it has diving board, water slide, and paddle boats) everyday. Rory and Leone loved the water even when their teeth were chattering.
The drive out took a day and a half. On the way to Santa Rosa we were looking for a place to camp overnight and Spencer finally decided he would just turn off onto a dirt road as long as it wasn't private property and we would settle there for the night. As soon as he turned off I noticed a small sign that said The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was 3/4 mile up the road!! Talk about tender mercies. It just so happened to be mutual night so plenty of people were around. We spoke with the branch president and he said we could camp near the chapel.
Leone has always been very independent but now that she is almost two I feel her demand for independence strengthening. We try to respect her need for independence as safety allows. Leone was a champion during the road trip. This was the longest we'd camped with her and she didn't miss a beat. Even riding in the car she hardly complained. Only when we were about an hour or two from home did she really start to protest. During our trip home we spent the night at Mesa Verde NP. We visited the Spruce Tree House cliff dwelling and hiked the Knife Edge Trail. Before leaving we picked up our Junior Ranger badges. We made another stop at Arches NP for a quick hike and to pick up our Junior Ranger badges. I had been there once before with Spencer and his family when we hiked The Fiery Furnace about 4 years ago (I can't believe it's been that long). This time I actually stopped to see some arches! We came home to a rainy night and it rained all next day. We're finally back to sunshine and the temperature is slowly rising. We're looking forward to spending the weekend at Jordanelle Resevoir with Spencer's family.
Most of the pictures I took are from our campsite. My Dad took pictures of us playing at the lake. He was the judge of our Highest Splash contest, which Spencer won!! We had a grand 'ole time and we're already planning our next reunion. Pictures of our trip follow:
"Bite??"
Afton was so easy to photograph. I realized it was because Rory and Leone were always on the go and Afton isn't quite walking yet so she would hang around long enough to snap a photo.
Leone is only recently potty-trained so I didn't want to risk any accidents in the car. We should have bought pull-ups instead of diapers though because it was a hassle to take her to the bathroom in a diaper. We live and learn!
My Dad always said "I don't do Barbies and I don't do hair." My how the times have changed.
My parents made a teepee to serve as extra shade while at the lake. The morning we left we all painted our hand and foot prints on the teepee walls to mark the occasion. It will be a fun tradition to keep!
A pie chart Steven drew depicting the attributes of Nicholas. (I personally think he has a lot more going for him.)
What a laugh!
Leone has started eating pretend food out of her hands. It's pretty cute and she'll do it any where.
I started referring to Rory as our little "Fruit Fly" because he can't seem to get enough fruit.
Group picture.
Mamere and BabaLou
Bless her heart.
Indian Blanket
Rory isn't stuck, I promise. He put himself there and decided to stay a while.
The Blue Hole.
We stopped in Taos on the way home and ate Taquitos from a road side stand.
We crossed the Rio Grande. This appeared to be a gathering place for Big Horn Sheep.
Hiking the Knife Edge Trail.
These Cicadas were everywhere at Mesa Verde! Being from Oklahoma I'm used to Cicadas but these made a totally different sound. They made this crackling-popping sound rather than a chirping-song like sound. It sounded as if the forest had eaten a large bag of Pop Rocks. Fascinating!
On the path to Spruce Tree House
Climbing into a kiva.
An open kiva.
Double Arch
From Double Arch looking towards the "Windows"
The End


Love those pictures of Leone! It really was a good time wasn't it? Thanks for meeting us in NM!
ReplyDeleteOh this trip looks spectacular! I love that you stopped so many places along the way too! Leone is a champ! and aren't the ruins amazing! We stopped there a few years ago and I just eat that stuff up! I LOVE it!
ReplyDelete